1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with some duck info!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Big Dreamer, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Well for school i have to do a project on one of my interestes and well one of them is DUCKS! SO im doing my report on ducks and i know some information, but i just wanted to know what you know, so anybody post anything that may help me with my report, just about ducks in general, like their genetics and all of that kind of stuff! So thanks in advance! [​IMG] OH, and if you want post some pictures of your ducks to give me more inspiration! [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wow, BD, you could write dozens of reports about ducks!!!!!

One idea: how about comparing ducks to chickens, duck eggs to chicken eggs (for example, duck eggs are higher in B12, take longer to incubate. . . .)?

Once you decide on a focus, you could search the forums. I know when I post, it is often very much about what is going on right now and I may not remember all the details a month later.

There are scores of photo's on the forum, too.

What aspect of ducks and duck raising do you think would surprise people? Just go with that, and then search for terms on the forum.

3. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Well my teacher didnt tell us what to spefically write on she just said write about your interest and its an MLA whatever that is, and its supposed to be about research of the topic, so i guess i would put what about ducks interestes me? and facts i think...but just to ask, what aspects of ducks and raising ducks suprise you or would suprise other people, i already know my opinoin, so what about other peoples?

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Whos homework is this...yours or ours. Why dont you tell us what your oppinions are and we can all comment on it.

5. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:With the MLA parenthetical system, you will place citations in parentheses within your text to point to sources in an alphabetized list of works cited that appears at the end of your paper.

Notes--numbered consecutively throughout your paper--may still be used for explanation or comment that the paper itself cannot accommodate.

6. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Quote:With the MLA parenthetical system, you will place citations in parentheses within your text to point to sources in an alphabetized list of works cited that appears at the end of your paper.

Notes--numbered consecutively throughout your paper--may still be used for explanation or comment that the paper itself cannot accommodate.

Thnaks for the explanation! BUT I dont use big words... [​IMG]

7. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

me either,,, I looked it up for u !!!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    so im guessin ud better ask your teacher how your paper is to be written.. it involves Footnotes and Endnotes ..The author's last name and page number(s) are placed in parentheses in the text to give credit to sources. and things like this.. which will ummm be important for your grade.. lol

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  8. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    HAHA, [​IMG] Well she said we are supposed to do it sometime this week and said we are gonna do it individual but together? Which i dont get! But im gonna have to ask her,and everyone else says they dont get it either, but i think im going to do the paperon the different types of ducks, because alot of people dont know about all the breeds and types, like dabbling diving, and that kind of stuff and then how the different ones raise theyr young, so do you think that would be a good topic? thinger kinda?

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Big Dreamer, I think that would be a good focus for your paper - types of ducks. You could also include many of the domestic breeds, and what they are bred for.

With MLA, if you were to use information from this forum, there is a special way to do that. You don't have to quote directly to use the reference. You might write something like,

Amiga from the BackYardChickens Duck Forum explained her Indian runner ducks are not as anxious as she thought they would be. (BackYardChickens, 1)

Then in the Citations section, you would have more information, like the date of the post, the full web address, and so on.

Yes, I am a former teacher whose students had to write papers using MLA. What we found was that many students (this is not saying students are bad or anything), are not careful to pay attention to where they get their information. In conversation, it may not matter. But when you are writing formally (which some of us have to do sometimes like in college), it does matter that you give credit to the person who did the original work to find the answers.

In college or other situations, writing information that you got from other people and not saying who did the work can be considered stealing. It can get people kicked out. That may be why your school wants students to write papers using MLA.

Thanks for your patience. I guess I still have some of that schoolteacher vibe.[​IMG]

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    One thing I found out recently that I find interesting is "summer eclipse". Mandarins, and probably others, do this. Mandarin males are extremely colorful but lose their color in the summer (summer eclipse) and look almost identical to the much plainer female. I would research this. Why do some breeds do this, etc? My ringed teals do not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by