Need help with sour crop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunbear1224, Oct 16, 2012.

1. sunbear1224

sunbear1224 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    I have a chicken who has had sour crop for 4 or 5 days now.
    The odd thing is, she acts perfectly normal. I have kept her in the barn in a dog crate with water (ACV in it) and her food. She does poop a lot and today some actually looked like it may have contained some of the stuff that may have caused the sour crop. But it looked mostly normal and firm. She is alert and walking around like normal. The swelling is not as large as it was a few days ago and feels like it contains less fluid than it did before, but when I picked her up tonight to clean her crate she spewed a bunch onto the floor. Then when I set her back down everytime she reached down to eat or drink she spews a bunch more. If I even slightly massage it, it comes up and she swallows it back down. Could she aspirate on this or will it eventually just all come out on its own? I know a lot of people have said to turn her upside down and squeeze it out, but I am extremely weak-kneed about that and just could not do that for fear of her drowning in it. General opinion is that this is a very dangerous procedure and shouldn't be done by an amateur. I have only had chickens a little over a year now and don't think I could do something like that. Is there a chance she will spew it all on her own?

And as I said above, she acts perfectly normal. I have put her with the other hens before they go in for the night and she acts like she always did. If it weren't for the swollen chest, you would never know there was anything wrong with her.

I was feeding her a diet of scrambled eggs with olive oil twice a day and plain live culture yogurt. But after 2 days she wouldn't eat the eggs so today I made a mash out of her crumbles and she ate that. She only eats small amounts of the yogurt. I have unfiltered apple cider vinegar in her water and she seems fine with that. She is drinking a ton of water.

I have absolutely no experience with this at all and the internet is just full of a lot of scary, crazy stories and a variety of mixed opinions on how to get rid of it. I have called every farm animal vet in town and not one would even return my call.

Any advice or opinion anyone could give would be very much appreciated! Thanks!!

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
  3. sunbear1224

sunbear1224 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks so much! I will take a look!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by