need help with suddenly dead chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hooray4chickens, Feb 1, 2013.

1. hooray4chickens

hooray4chickens New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    Washington
    Tuesday morning one of my hens was laying in the middle of the floor in the coop. I picked her up with no fight, normally she would try to walk away. She seemed depressed but other than that she was looking fine. I sat her back down in the corner. Later that day she had only moved about 2 inches so I brought her into the house. She had a full, hard crop and no intrest in food or water.

Before bed she had a little diarrhea that smelled foul and she was breathing deep and slow. the next morning she was dead and her crop was soft and empty feeling. All the other chickens are healthy and acting normal, I thought it might be a crop impaction but now two days later I wake up and another one of my hens is dead. She was sprawled out in the middle of the coop floor. It looked like she died dust bathing. Yesterday she was completely normal like all the others today. I feel lost like I dont know what to do or look for. Can anyone give me any advice before I start a necropsy.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. hooray4chickens

hooray4chickens New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    Washington
    bump

3. Lady Badlands

Lady Badlands Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Did the second one have the same symptoms as the first?

4. hooray4chickens

hooray4chickens New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    Washington
    No, the second hen to pass was acting normal the day and night before. I did a thorough once over on all my hens and roosters the day my first hen died and they all looked good except my roos showed some signs they might have mites. I gave all the hens a dust bath with diatomacous earth and cleaned out and dusted their coops (i have two coops, one with one roo and 5 hens all of which are good and another with one roo and four hens. He had five hens but one was recently killed by a hawk. This is also the coop in which my hens are dying. This coop is down to 2 hens and one roo now) (I also have a baby roo about 4 months old born from the first hen that died. He is healthy and doing well except one of his poops today smelled foul and was soft. That was about 5 hours ago. Since then hes been normal)

I did a necropsy and I honestly didnt see anything definitive. I forgot to cut open and check the intestine and ceca and stomach. The stomach was filled with some liquid and food stuffs and was inflated with air but I forgot to cut it open at the end of the procedure.
    I honestly feel so lost still. Almost everything I thought it could be, could still be it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by