Pics

KittyIsQuackers

Quacking
Apr 4, 2018
East TN
image.jpeg My 7 week old duck, Dragon, has been injured
image.jpeg
by a hawk. Any tips on how to care for an injured duck? Anything to make him more comfortable or happier? He also has a lot of tiny but densely packed fly eggs deep in his feathers, any tips for that? They are stuck tight and I don‘t want to hurt him more.
The vet said he has a good chance, but we have to get the eggs off and keep infection away. He has had ivermectin, baytril/enrofloxacin, and a pain/inflammation shot from the vet. He’s able to stand and drink some water, but isn’t moving much. And I can’t get him to eat any plantain.

Any help?

Update 6/24 : He’s still very tired sometimes falls asleep standing up and he twice went limp while wrapped loosely and gave me a big scare but turned out to be exhausted, He was making a kind of whistle that I believe was a wheeze, and needed five seconds of xopenex of 1.25. He’s also drinking normally, but isn’t eating duck feed. He’s eating a little of the plantain I gave him, which I chopped up into little pieces and put in his water, but I showed the rest of the flock that he was okay and alive, and he and the flock had a happy squawking contest. One of the females kept snapping at him, though he was only separated for a day, but she stopped after about half an hour, and I sprayed permethrin on him because he got very bad fly eggs, and he seems MUCH better. And while he’s still injured, he’s acting normally, not like the droopy, tired, barley struggling duck he was a few minutes after the hawk attack

Last edited:
Blu-Kote is an antiseptic ointment you can buy, I would clean him up and get some ointment on him. He should be fine. If you can, keep him in a safe clean environment for healing. I would also be sure to give electrolytes so he will stay hydrated. Pedialyte works just fine and you can find it in the baby section at most grocery stores.

The fly eggs are maggots. You will need to remove them. It is called fly strike. I would do a search on it so that you can get the proper steps to remove.
Here is a link with steps too:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/
Maybe some vetricyn spray and neosporin for the wound. As well, how is the duck's eye?
The vet didn't give you advice on caring for the wound?

Blu-Kote is an antiseptic ointment you can buy, I would clean him up and get some ointment on him. He should be fine. If you can, keep him in a safe clean environment for healing. I would also be sure to give electrolytes so he will stay hydrated. Pedialyte works just fine and you can find it in the baby section at most grocery stores.

Thank you for the help! And at the moment, he’s in the bathtub. I’m going to replace the towel daily, although he’s only let out waste two or three times that I’ve noticed, so it isn’t getting dirty very fast.

The fly eggs are maggots. You will need to remove them. It is called fly strike. I would do a search on it so that you can get the proper steps to remove.
Here is a link with steps too:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/
Maybe some vetricyn spray and neosporin for the wound. As well, how is the duck's eye?
The vet didn't give you advice on caring for the wound?

I’ll try to remove them today, but if I can’t, how long do I have until they hatch? And thanks for the link, it’ll really help. I’ll try out the vetricyn and neosporin, and Dragon’s eye, the one in the picture, is closed, and he has missed the waterbowl a few times. But his other eye is perfectly fine. It’s not squinted and he’s blinking normally. As for the vet giving advice, she said to not put on a bandage, that his squinty eye eyeball looks fine, gave us oral meds, told us to get the eggs off and wait for recovery.

When my duck got attacked, I made a mixture of 50% ACV and water. I also use Vetricyn. 3-4 times daily with the ACV and Vetricyn to rinse wound area.

Vinegar and flies do not mix.

Be sure to keep out of eyes.

On that first day, we used wound seal once we debrided the wound and applied antibiotic ointment. This created a antiseptic barrier. A friend who was an Iraq vet and Medic helped me that first day with lots of advice and support from the saints here.

I know that woundseal or blood stop, may not apply to this case as the wound is not actively bleeding like my med patient 1.

However, I swear by ACV.

Back
Top Bottom