Need help with the 'bator (PICS)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Joey8765, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Joey8765

Joey8765 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Australia
    Okay so im building an incubator. (im a noobie at all this)

this is a photo of how it works

[​IMG]
    (left) switch to turn on (middle) dimabble light bulb (right) CPU fan plug in.

The inside
    [​IMG]

what else do I need?

2. Joey8765

May 8, 2010
    Australia
    Sorry for the double post, internet was going funny and it didnt say i posted it

3. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    What are your plans for a thermostat. The dimmers will control how much heat the lights put out, but they wont respond to outside temperature fluctuations. I think you wll find it very hard to control the temps using just a dimmer switch.

You will also need some sort of bowl, cup, plastic dish, or similar to hold water for humidity.

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You may want a false bottom made out of hardware cloth - but its not a necessity. You place your bowl of water under there & they humidity is controlled but the chicks cant get to it when they hatch.

I'm trying to build mine on the same principal - but with a device to turn the eggs w/o opening the lid. Again- not a necessity but makes it easier on me.

5. Joey8765

May 8, 2010
    Australia
    Well i don't plan on buying a thermostat because the temperature fluctuation in the room will be at a minimum, there won't be a great change inside the incubator.

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    It looks really good as it is - I'm playing around with the wattage of mine now - I started out too low.

Also consider - if you don't have a way to turn the eggs w/o opening the lid then you will need to get in there 2 or 3 times a day for the first 2 +- weeks. This will let the heat out - which shouldn't be that big a deal as hens take a stroll every now & then too. But the humidity may take some time to build back up & humidity I'm learning can have a big impact on the hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by