Need help with the design of my run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greg eviston, Feb 24, 2015.

1. greg eviston

greg eviston Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2015
    Once again i am looking for advise. I am going to build my run soon and was wanting to use treated 4x4s cemented in the ground and want to know how far apart i could place the posts in the ground before it becomes too far apart? I would like to place them 10 feet apart but dont know if that will work or not. Any help would be appreciated!

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I don't like to use more than eight feet between main posts. I also like to place one or more 2x4's in-between the posts. Set a post and test different distances, see what you are willing to live with before you have all the posts in the ground. Building things that are not in need or redoing or repair, as soon as it is finished, might be prudent. Only you know best for your birds and the predators stalking them, take a good look and go for it.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

1 person likes this.
  3. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    it really kind of depends what dimensional lumber you're going to frame with? the farther your supports are apart, the bigger you'll need to use. at 10 feet apart, I wouldn't use less than a 2x6 and would probably use a 2x8. You might find it less expensive to put the posts a bit closer so you can use smaller dimensional lumber for framing

1 person likes this.
  4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Mine are 10 feet apart but I have each one of them supported in an A frame rather than just standing on their own. Of course, my run's top is 8 feet high with a connecting board at the top, middle and bottom. I wanted to make sure I had a large enough run. 22 by 40 by 8 feet high. Don't believe in "cooping" my chickens up. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  5. greg eviston

Jan 31, 2015
    Wow jadedphoenix that sounds exactly how I want mine. You wouldn't be able to possibly put a pic of it on here would you?

6. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    LOL!! I can post an unfinished pic since I got lazy and never took a final pic. I'll have to get one later on. I have a net across the top to keep my flyers inside as well. I'll have to get some updated pics when I get home from work in a few hours. I have three small coops inside the run and I have a trampoline frame (just removed the top to replace it with a trampoline cover for shade) which also has a large roost for them to hang out under the trampoline during the summer.

Having such a large run makes it easier to keep some greenery growing inside too since it is large enough to keep the chickens from picking at all of it until all they have is mud during the summer. I'm actually in the process of sowing it with oats now to get the greenery started again in the spring.

7. greg eviston

Jan 31, 2015
    Very cool! It sounds like what I am wanting to do! I would love to see pics whenever you get them! Thanks a lot!

8. greg eviston

Jan 31, 2015
    I also will have to put a top net on due to living in Indiana and the amount of red tailed Hawks we have here is crazy. Sometimes we see 3 and 4 of them flying around our property at one time. Sounds like your set up is exactly what I am wanting here.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Keep in mind that your 'top net' will probably have to accommodate some snow load, plan ahead how that's gonna work so you don't have to fix it in the middle of a snowstorm.

I used 2x4 wire fencing, most the snow goes thru unless it's freezing rain first or very wet snow, then I have to keep it cleared off so it doesn't accumulate and collpase.

1 person likes this.
  10. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    My netting hasn't had any trouble really. There is a little bit of a sag because I ordered more netting than I needed. Anyway, putting some fishing wire through some of it helps support it and catches any hapless hawk who may try to fly through by surprise. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by