Need help with the float test

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lxlzbaca, Jan 31, 2011.

1. lxlzbaca

lxlzbaca Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    New Mexico
    So earlier last week the incubator got unplugged and the temp dropped down to 64. I turned it on brought it back up and waited. I did the float test on Saturday which was day 17. The egg didn't sink. It floated with maybe 1/3, if even that much, above the water. It moved around for a little while then it was still. I took it out of the water, waited a few seconds and put it back. It was still again. Does that sound viable? Sorry for the beginner questions, this is our first try at this. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I *think* the floating ones are the dead ones. Sorry.

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    They should float. If they wiggle, they're alive. if not.....candle and see what it looks like inside. They may still be ok, may not. Sniff test it. Stinkers are bad. I've never had one not wiggle in the water then hatch, but other people have.....so if your sure its not a stinker, you can stick it back in the bator for a few more days.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. lxlzbaca

lxlzbaca Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    New Mexico
    Quote:I think my main problem is candling. I don't think the flashlight I have is bright enough. The only thing I ever saw in any of them was a definite blood ring. The other had "masses" that grew bigger. They definitely don't stink. Would it be ok to do another float test today (day 18), or should I just leave it alone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by