Need help with treatment/diagnosis. I think mycoplasma or Aspergillosis...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crobbins2009, Jul 3, 2016.

1. crobbins2009

crobbins2009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    I recently got chickens, and I'm constantly creeping backyard chickens reading articles. So far though I haven't seen a lot that i have the knowledge to answer, and until now i havent had questions that need answered.

Anyhow I now have an issue that i need help with. I have 43 chickens total. I have 25 that are meat birds (should be ready for slaughter in a month). They're heritage breeds and mostly roosters. 7 are adult laying hens, and 11 are pullets born in March.

Last week some of the meat birds came down wuth a cough/sneeze and rattling breathing. I consulted with a byc facebook group I'm on the find out i should give tylan injectibles or I could get denagard to put in their water. By the next day pretty much my entire flock was coughing, and theyre eyes were all swollen shut/ bubbling. I freaked out and the only antibiotic i could find around here was duramycin 10. I know you arent really supposed to use with egg layers, but i didnt have much of an option so i boight it and have been dosing for about 5 days now. While my chckens seem a little better, Im not sure that the 7 dayas on duramycin is going to take care of my issue. Should i start the denagard when i get it (i already had it on order when i bought the duramycin), and give them a round of that too?

Also i think that it is mycoplasma, but im not even 100% sure. The eyes are swollen on a lot of the chickens and some of them dont really want to open their eyes. A lot of them have a raspy sound when breathing as well. One has bubbles in her eyes for a day or so (pictured), and now the whole area around that eye is featherless and red. Also a lot if ny golden comets have white behind their ears (not sure if this is normal). Some of their feathers seem to be greasy or somwthing. I checked for mites/lice and didnt see anything.

If i think of anything else relevant ill post! Thanks tons in advance for all the great help i know ill get!

Oh one more thing! I did open a balenof straw last week that had got wet and then dried out. I checked for mold and everything, but didnt find any. I also started fermented feed and sprouting my own wheat berries.

[​IMG]

2. crobbins2009

Apr 2, 2016
    Oh here is a pic where you can see the white behind the golden comets ears. Again this may betotally normal-- i just wasnt sure. The other symptoms worry me way worse but trying to give a whole picture :)

[​IMG]

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  4. crobbins2009

Apr 2, 2016
    Thanks for the articles! I was pretty sure thats what it was, but wasnt 100% positive.

Now one of my otherwise healthy chickens is losing all of her feathers around her neck. Im hoping that this is just a molt, but I'm so frustrated!

I biught tylan 50, poultry dust, and wormer. I figure if I cant eat the eggs, i may as well treat for everything. Is this wrong? I figured ill start tylan injections tomorrow for the chixkens showing signs of illness, then keep them seperated. When i get the denagard ill dose the rest of the flock with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by