Need Help-Wyndotte has red swollen butt and underside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brendae2007, May 24, 2016.

1. brendae2007

brendae2007 New Egg

Jan 23, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am having the worst luck with my chickens this week. I just dealt with one with fly strike so I am catching each chicken (this is hard because I have a broken leg) and checking their bottoms to be sure no one else is infected. Tonight when I washed the bottom of my 3 year old wyndotte she does not have fly strike but her bottom starting at the vent and going on around under her belly is very red and puffy like it is full of fluid.. I am not sure what this is. I also noticed that the webbing around her toes is very red too.. I have attached pictures but you may need to enlarge them to see what I am talking about. She is pretty upset and I did not want to add to her stress by making her pose for pictures. There are no local vets around here that treat chickens so I am on my own with this.
    Thank you for your help and advice.

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    have you received any help???
    is she better now?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. brendae2007

brendae2007 New Egg

Jan 23, 2014
    No. I kept her in quarantine for almost a week. She was eating good and quite fussy about being away from the other chickens. I put her back with the flock. Her feathers are a bit droopy but the swollen but is not as swollen as it was. I am pretty sure she is not laying. She free ranges with the others but she is slower and she was once at the top of the pecking order and now she is near the bottom. I have considered putting her down but I just can't bring myself to do it. I welcome your suggestions.

4. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    have you checked to see if she is egg bound?
    i'll see if i can find a link to how to do it

5. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    @brendae2007

i have been told to check for egg binding you just stick a couple fingers in her vent and feel up for an egg
    if you are unsure of who lays which eggs, you could put some food coloring in her vent to see if she is laying

and more pictures of her backside could help too

sorry lol

6. clownychick

clownychick Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016
    Vermont
  7. clownychick

clownychick Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016
    Vermont
    Actually, @brendae2007 if you don't mind graphic videos - just check out youtube, search for egg peritonitis (the one with ascites fluid in the title is pretty informative; 'Ms. Ashley' seems to really know her stuff).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by