Need help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlady04, Nov 18, 2015.

1. chickenlady04

chickenlady04 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2015
    My chicken, Chicka, has been squatting for 3 days now. This has been the 1st day she has not squatted. I haven't found any eggs anywhere so I can't figure out why she stopped squatting. Is this normal? I am new to having chickens so I do not know. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Do you mean squatting and laying an egg or just squatting when you walk by? If you mean when you walk by It isn't something they will nescesarrily do on queue. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. If she is getting ready to start laying it's a sign but it's not something they have to do.

If you mean squatting and laying an egg yes that's normal. They don't have a 24 hour cycle between eggs, it's closer to thirty or something like that, so eventually you get a day they aren't due for an egg yet.

That said unless you have bought production chickens that have been bred to lay prolifically for a couple years then pack it in you aren't going to get one every single cycle anyway. You will get somewhere between 1-6 eggs a week, and less in the cooler months and more in the warmer. I get about 2-3 a week from most of my birds and about 5-6 from my australorp.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    How old is this hen/pullet?

4. chickenlady04

Nov 15, 2015

She is about 5 months old

5. mymilliefleur

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    on average most hens start laying at around 7-8 months. It's very possible that she isn't mature yet, just because she is squatting doesn't mean she is about to start laying, you may not get an egg for several weeks after the first squat. Give her some time, eggs are not far off. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. chickenlady04

Nov 15, 2015

She finally laid! Except there was 3 eggs instead of one. Do they lay more than once a day?

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Not normally - more likely that either she is trying to sort her egg laying system out or a couple of your other hens are sneaking in on the act. If its the former, then don't worry - it takes a while for their bodies to get accustomed to laying.

CT

8. mymilliefleur

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by