Need help..

Discussion in 'Quail' started by vicky1212123, Jun 11, 2016.

1. vicky1212123

vicky1212123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2016
    Lincoln, IL
    Ok so, I was originally going to get chickens, but i live very close to neighbors so i decided their clucking would be too loud. ( all poultry is illegal where i live, so i need some quiet birds), I've decided to get 2 or 3 jumbo coturnix quails, and I've found a breeder. the problem is, i can't have a male. I would like to tame my quail, so i can't get one that has been sexed, is a few weeks old, and hasn't been exposed to humans much. But, if i get eggs and hatch them, i will probably get some males. If i try vent sexing the chicks i may get from the breeder, i could hurt them, or she may feel offended. I CAN NOT kill these males because that would break my heart. Honestly, i feel like my only choice here is to find the males and release them into the forest, though that still makes me sad. :( Can anyone come up with an alternative for me? Thanks.

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Most areas quail aren't under the definition of poultry.

Why couldn't you have a male? They aren't loud.

I have some pharoh cotournix. At about 3 weeks old the males will have a red/rusty breast.
    Females will be tan and spotted.

Not sure on taming them down. But with enough time and exposure and treats.
    I'm sure they would b

3. vicky1212123

Jan 23, 2016
    Lincoln, IL
    As far as i know, the males do make a calling noise. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but my next door neighbor isn't exactly the nicest guy. he's kidnapped my pets before, and I don't doubt he'll do it again. Thanks for the advice though. :)

4. Everlong

Everlong Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    He kidnapped your pets again? ever hear of "911"?
    i just started with quails about a month ago, have 4 ladies and one male. 99.9% they are quiet, the other odd times, they sound like Crickets, yes, crickets.
    And honestly, you can keep them inside.

Where do you live?

5. vicky1212123

Jan 23, 2016
    Lincoln, IL
    I live in a city in Illinois where poultry isn't allowed. Now, i COMPLETELY agree about keeping them inside. Except, i happen to live with my mother, and she haaaates birds. She hates so much that i had to practically beg her for years just to get her to say maybe. Another reason i wouldn't want a male is because i wouldn't want them having babies, but I've also listened to videos of quite loud male quails., which scared me quite a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by