Need help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aworldintime, Jul 10, 2016.

1. aworldintime

aworldintime Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    Ok so I noticed tbe other day one of my ducks was whistling in the nose. So I gave him a warm bath and he had some down feathers stuck in there. Got them out and he is fine. Then yesterday my other duck starting whistling and today not only is stl doing it but is now quacking. She is acting normal. No discarge or anything. She just had a warm bath now and played in the water. I dropped peas in to get her to dunk her head more then normal. But I am at a loss. This isnt showing signs of a RI. If there is something stuck I cant see it. There still pretty downy right now. About 3 months old.
    Any ideas??

2. aworldintime

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    I ment to say is still doing it and is now qwacking so we know its a girl

3. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    do they have plenty of water to drink....?
    I have ancona ducks.. but have never heard them whistling through their nostrils...
    hopefully someone will come along with some idea of how to help you....

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    While you need to watch closely - you are correct that there can be early signs of respiratory infection - in my experience, sometimes ducks tend to have nose whistles. Elfie did. I remember watching her for several minutes at a time, every day....She outgrew it.

They need to be able to dunk their heads frequently, to snoot water through their nares and keep them cleaned out.

5. aworldintime

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    I am hoping it isnt a RI. i didnt know they out grew it?
    And yes she is in the house now to be watched. And of course there is water for her to snoot. Inside and out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by