Need Help!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shamrockinchef, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Shamrockinchef

Shamrockinchef New Egg

Oct 3, 2016
    Joliet IL
    I have a beautiful Polish Rooster that I truly want to keep! Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the crowing to a minimum? Has anyone used one of the no crow collars? [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The jury is still out on the no-crow collars. I tend to think if they really worked, no one would have the "crowing," rooster problem. Some folks think it has helped and others report injury to the rooster.

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I've had perhaps ten cockerels collared at once. Most of them, it lowered volume decently and reduced crowing. One got louder. One had some minor skin chafing and so I removed the collar. I also had one or two that didn't display a noticeable change. I find it to be largely dependant on the cockerel.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! That's a great pic of your lovely polish roo there! You have some good advice above, I'm afraid I've never used the no crow collar.
    Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you aboard! No experience with those collars so I'll defer and just wish the best to you and your chickens! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there and welcome to Backyard chickens! Put ''No Crow collar'' in the search box, and many helpful threads will pop up. I have never used them though, so I have no personal experience with them. Enjoy BYC!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    Hi and [​IMG]! We are glad you joined the flock! :)

10. featherkids2

featherkids2 New Egg

Oct 6, 2016
    I'm totally new at this, so I put my duck egg in at around 7am on Sept 13, so that would count as a day? I know mine should hatch at 28 days. The egg is black inside, isn't moving but has a nice aircell, yesterday morning I checked for smell and candled it I saw its bill and it move, wanted to make sure it wasn't going bad because of the internal color change. AND because I didn't think it was going to make it in the beginning So I put another egg in the bator that should hatch the 19th, what do I do? Will the second egg be ok for a couple days in higher humidity, I can still turn it, could I keep the humidity at 60% but most the first egg a few times a day? Please help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by