Need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by longisqtee, Oct 9, 2017.

1. longisqtee

longisqtee Just Hatched

Oct 9, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    1 of my girls crown is very pale and she is sitting around alot, i'm not sure if she is laying eggs because i have 5 others...any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Bridger Davis likes this.
  2. Poultrybreeder

Poultrybreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2017
    Is she in the same spot every time she lays down?

3. longisqtee

longisqtee Just Hatched

Oct 9, 2017
    Long Island, NY

No she moves around to other spots.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is she molting? Feathers all over the coop, pin feathers on her neck? Combs do go pale during the fall molt, which is totally normal. Birds can also eat less, become tired, even have diarrhea during a molt.

If she is not molting, somethings else is going on, possibly she has internal parasites, a virus or bacterial infection, etc...

5. longisqtee

longisqtee Just Hatched

Oct 9, 2017
    Long Island, NY

No she isnt molding! Any suggestions?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she is not molting (and all of mine either are starting or finishing their yearly molt,) then you need to examine her all over, and get her to drinking some fluids. Sick chickens will lie around and not eat or drink enough. Inspect her crop to see if it is empty, or has food in it, or if it is hard, doughy, or puffy. Crop problems are common. Pick her up, feel of her keel bone (breast) for weight loss. Check her skin around and under the vent and elsewhere for lice or mites. Look and tell us what type of droppings she is having. Hold a cup to her beak and get her drinking. Electrolytes and vitamins for poultry are good to add for a few day. Offer her some chopped egg, tuna, or some wet chicken feed. Feel of her lower belly for swelling or tightness, and look at her legs, feet, and her head for anything unusual.

7. longisqtee

longisqtee Just Hatched

Oct 9, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks i will do this today!

8. longisqtee

longisqtee Just Hatched

Oct 9, 2017
    Long Island, NY
  9. longisqtee

longisqtee Just Hatched

Oct 9, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I attached a pic...i checked her out and really didnt see anything, gave her tuna which she ate a little of and water.

10. longisqtee

longisqtee Just Hatched

Oct 9, 2017
    Long Island, NY

This morning she was just sitting inside the house, still not looking any better, took her out into the lawn yesterday and she just sat there...need help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by