1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tink69, Apr 28, 2009.

1. tink69

tink69 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    NorthCentral Iowa
    I set 48 pheasant eggs in my hovabator about 12 days ago. I thought I got it cleaned up pretty well after my last batch even after my son tipped it over and spilled the nasty water, shell pieces, and feces all over it but now it looks like mold mite be growing on it. Is there anything I can do to clean it now, do you think it will hurt the hatch, and how do I get it super clean after hatch to try and prevent this in the future? Thanks for the help. Tink

2. tink69

tink69 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    NorthCentral Iowa
    ANYONE???

3. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Maybe you can remove the eggs for a short period and clean what you can w/mild soap and water, then spray with hydrogen peroxide to discourage any further mold growth. Of course, try to do this as fast as possible. 15 min's out of the bator and the eggs should be fine. Just keep an eye on temps after re-stabilizing bator environment.

4. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Mold is bad so I would clean it. if you could work around the eggs quickly without losing much heat would be good. I wouldn't use toxic cleaners. The mother hen leaves the nest from time to time so if your quick they should be ok. Good luck and hopefully someone more experienced can be of more help.

5. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Yes, definately don't use toxic cleaners like bleach and such, that's why I recommended using warm water soap initially then spray good w/mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water( a tablespoon of H2O2 in a spray bottle filled w/water should be sufficient(or sponged on)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by