1. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    OK I answered the questions)
    What type of bird , age and weight. Black rose combs millie fleurs 20 weeks old
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. not eating drinking just sitting there with there eyes closed
    3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. NO
    4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.new BIRDS WHICH ARE NOT SICK
    5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. POULTRY DEVELOPER, WATER
    6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. dONT KNOW
    7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? TERIMYICAN FOR ONE DAY
    8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? TREAT IT MYSELF
    9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    10) Describe the housing/bedding in use CLOCED BUILDING WITH 2 WINDOWS CRACKED AND A BIG DOOR SHAVINGS
    ns

2. Nif

Nif Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Try and check out the poop because it can be very helpful. Does it have any blood in it?

Is your chick starter medicated?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Couple of ideas, but nothing concrete.

Is it a hen or roo? If a hen, might be having trouble laying first egg?
    New birds can be carriers without exhibiting any signs of illness themselves. Any whistling, wheezing, runny eyes, nose in the sick chicken?
    Hard to believe we have to study chicken poop, but the appearance is important.

4. Nif

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    How many sick birds do you have?

5. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    For a poo reference I use this. Hopefully it will help you.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  6. Nif

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Chicks R Friends, thanks...for posting the poo. I was just going to go find this!

7. 11langenkamp_w

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    ill check the poo tommrow and there roosters and hens and theres 10 to 12 of them sick. I lost one millie fleur and a black rose comb bantam.

8. 11langenkamp_w

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    THe poop looks like the oil and foamy i lost 2 more black rose combs and 1 more millie fluer. WHat should i do?

9. Nif

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Where are you keeping your sick birds? Are any of them eating?
    Have you tried giving them any yogurt, oatmeal, applesauce, or crumbles soaked in water?
    Are they drinking? Hydration is important, you might want to try some gatorade or some kind of electrolytes.

10. 11langenkamp_w

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    seperate from the healthy ones on there on the ground. no draft. I made there food wet gave them some gatorade and got there eyes open and tried to get some of the junk out. they were eating the wet food. I called the vet but he wasnt avalible so i have to call tommrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by