Need Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cazoo, Jan 20, 2010.

1. cazoo

cazoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    In April my In-laws gave my daughter 6 ducklings; three Marlings and three Pekins. Out of the six, three are drakes and three are hens. We have found good homes for two of the drakes. I would like to get two more Pekin hens and one more Marling hen. I want to get them from somewhere reliable.

I have built an aviary with two houses (one is insulated with heat and fan for year round comfort) and a 625 gallon stock tank (year round swimming as well). We have plenty of room for them, I just need a good source to purchase them.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has of a good place to purchase these additional ducks.

Thank you in advance.

cazoo

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have purchased birds from Metzer and birds that originally came from Holderreads. I recommend both, but the quality on the Holderreads ducks is better. Metzer lets you order small quantities and will sell sexed ducklings.

3. cazoo

cazoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Thanks Wifezilla!

Both times I have come here for help, you have come through!

4. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    I've had good experiences with metzer also.

5. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    What is a Marling duck? I couldn't find anything online about them.

6. cazoo

cazoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Sorry, I meant Mallard. Marling is the name of the Mallard drake we just gave away. All of our pets are spoiled rotten, and it was very disturbing to me, my wife and our daughter having to give the two drakes away; eventhough they are in good homes. I was thinking of Marling as I was typing. I should have proof read better.......... Again, sorry.

7. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    :lol:Thanks, thought I had missed something.

8. cazoo

cazoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Thanks for the help. I have checked out Metzers. However, my daughter has changed my mind after looking through the site. Now we are going to get one additional Pekin hen and two Cayuga hens. We will have two hens each: Pekins, Mallards and Cayuga, and one Pekin drake.

BTW, When my daughter picks up the one drake we kept, he puts his head over her shoulder and wraps his wings around her. He will run to the nearest part of the aviary to her when he hears her outside. It is really really sweet. He is her favorite.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  9. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:awww that is sooo cute. what a good little boy. (we need pictures [​IMG]) i would also have said Metzers or Holderread. that boy is gonna be busy! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by