need help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bkrw, Jul 12, 2010.

1. bkrw

bkrw Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Chicken came from a growing house, ones that got away. There age now range from 3 to 4 month. Several have died, new & older ones both. It seem like one a day now.
    Lack of energy & appetite,
    Nasal discharge,
    Eyes Watering,
    Coughing,
    Gasping for air before dying
    Seem like I have tryed everything,,,,, Sulfamethazine,drinking water solution, sulfadimethoxine drinking water solution, all liquid form.Sulfadimethoxine powered form which
    you mix it with water...Soon of the chickens seem to be dealing with it. But still showing sign of it ,coughing, watering eyes, nasal discharge,, but have good appetite and maybe
    gaining a little weight.....but I'm thinking it get them to. Several people are telling me that these chickens will not live in the out side world... Is anybody out there got a solution
    too help me prove these people wrong,,, and save my chickens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    try typing the symptoms in the Search. i'm not sure what you have, but there are some smart cookies out there. good luck

3. bkrw

bkrw Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    thanks for the reply, it was helpful,,, but I'm kind of lost right now,,,, chickens dying one too two a day,, information overload right now,,I guess reading to much,,,read
    somewhere tylan,,,, give it under the skin... read somewhere put it in the brest,, somewhere it said to put behind the neck,,,,, decided to quite inj.... started to feed can corn
    with yogurt and blended up blue berries,,, got a acrea so I dont have to pay for them, went back to using vetex,,, and also using polyvisol baby vitamins, but looks likes
    more chickens are getting weak,,,,:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Stop the sulfa drugs - that treatment has clearly been ineffective. Use the Tylan-50 injectable. Follow dosage directions and these instructions copied from another thread (author unknown):

"Tylan-50 Injectable" is an antibiotic designed for intramuscular injection. IM injections are given in a large muscle; in chickens, this is the breast muscle. Take care to avoid the crop. Giving the injection in the neck can be ineffective, and potentially dangerous.

1/2cc of Tylan-50 is sufficient for mild to moderate infections. Tylan should be injected daily for 3-5 days. Like any antibiotic, finish the entire course of treatment- so a minimum of 3 injections. Stopping treatment early can promote antibiotic resistant bacteria."

Good luck. Sounds like you have a bit of an uphill climb.

5. bkrw

bkrw Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    thanks for the information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I need it!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Another ? if anybody knows please reply.. Feeding them yogurt to build stomach culture back up,,,
    someone told me that buttermilk would do just as good, any thought on buttermilk

6. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, cultured buttermilk also supplies pro-biotics to help rebuild the good flora in the chicken's gut. Yogurt is easier to feed all by itself. Buttermilk is best mixed with feed crumbles to make a nice mush.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by