1. silkieowner

silkieowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    ) What type of bird , age and weight. Barred rock 20 weeks old
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. liquid coming out of mouth, wobbly on legs, not eating,wants to hide
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? only noticed today
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. They do get picked on and chased by 2 of the buff orpingtons
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. x egg layer pellets,chick starter,wheat,grass,mash eg chick starter with warm water and some oats, and kitchen scraps
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. runny some stuck on bottom
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? nothing yet have sperated from other chickens
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? want to treat my bird myself if possible
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    They are housed in a coop/run with sand as the flooring and straw for bedding, there coop/run gets cleaned every month. They get free range almost everyday.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    What does her crop look like? I'm not sure, but it sounds like she may have an impacted or sour crop. Try smelling around her mouth and see if you can tell if it smells sour when she exhales. I'd also isolate her so you can get a more accurate idea of how much she is eating/drinking/pooping. I use an extra large dog crate for my chicken hospital, but a box or even the tub of an unused bathroom works well too.

3. silkieowner

Apr 17, 2010
    crop has a bit of food in it but other that feels normal.

4. silkieowner

Apr 17, 2010
    I should mention that the liquid that came out of the mouth only happened once when i picked her up. Also yesterday she was fine very active,eating and drinking. So whatever happened it happened overnight. I'm thinking an injury or something caused by the buff orpington that keeps attacking them. Then the runny poo is caused by stress, Could also be possible that she wasn't getting enough to eat. Theres so many things which could have happened.

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    If she just drank water that could come out of her mouth too when you went to pick her up. If it is really hot where you are could also contribute. The rest might be from stress. She may perk up once she is away from the ones who pick on her.

6. silkieowner

Apr 17, 2010
    I've started her on Sulfa 3 which is an antibiotic which treats Bacterial Enteritis sensitive to sulfonamides,Respiratory diesease,chlamydia and coccidiosis

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I hope she gets better [​IMG] bump.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by