Need help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NattiFan, Aug 15, 2010.

1. NattiFan

NattiFan Songster

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    My girls have started laying. I've gotten 6 eggs since this past monday night. Only two are laying, and one just layed her first yesterday. My problem is that they are laying on the floor of my coop and not in the nest boxes. I've been trying the gold balls in the nest boxes for a week....I've replaced the old hay in there with some fresh stuff thinking maybe they would hop up there and nibble at it....no luck....they lay on the floor. Anyone have any ideas about how I can get them to lay in the nest boxes, or is it something that I'm just gonna have to be patient with and let them figure it out on their own? thanks for the help

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I have some SQ hens that lay on the floor. The rest all make it to the nests eventually. Very seldom does my SQ hens lay in nests.

3. harewizard

harewizard Songster

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm in the same situation. [​IMG]

I've read in books and here on BYC that it can take a while for them to catch on. [​IMG]

Are your nest boxes at a good height? Can they access them? Maybe pick-them up when you hear the laying song and show them the golden eggs? [​IMG]

Hang in there,
    Lisa

4. NattiFan

NattiFan Songster

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    Quote:Yeah I now read that I said gold balls instead of golf balls. But I am hoping for golden eggs!!!

Yes the nest boxes are about 20" off the ground and very accessible. I guess I will just have to give them some more time. I may try picking them up and putting them in there.

Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by