need help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MCM37, Sep 30, 2010.

1. MCM37

MCM37 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    I am new to raising quail. in fact im just now building a pen. but i need help. i am building a 4ft x 10ft x3ft tall pen to keep about 20 or so bob whites in. i will then take two plastic totes and cut aut the tops and put wire on them. and of course have a heat lamp on top. i have two so i can clean one and trasfer them. but my ?? is how big of a tote do i need for how many chicks and also one they are of age to leave the brood tote can i put them with the older birds in the 4x10 pen. (that is assuming i dont eat or sale them) just saying what if i had a few left.

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

my experience is that that those 20 chicks will outgrow the biggest tote in a couple weeks...i have 20 coturnix chicks that outgrew the big one i used in less than 2 weeks.
    i moved them to 2 bigger containers and they are 3 weeks old now and they have outgrown those 2 containers as well. They grow faster than Bobwhites but this will at least give you an idea....

3. MCM37

MCM37 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    so what do u sugest as a good size area then. i mean what if i had 50 chicks. how many sq ft is needed till there of age to go out. thanks for ur reply

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

what amount of space do you have ? can you stack totes and just divide the chicks up?
    i'm not sure of the rate of growth with Bobwhites,never having raised them before.... maybe an area 3 or 4 X 4 once they outgrow the tote and the air temperatures have been dropped some ..?
    hopefully the Bobwhite knowledgable people will get on here soon and contribute some imput..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by