1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by penut1799, Jul 31, 2011.

1. penut1799

penut1799 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    North Fort Myers, FL
    Hi! I will be getting my 1st chicks in 8 days and am NOT prepared! Can you guys PLEASE tell me what to do?

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you mean you are not prepared? What is the problem? Do you not have equipment and housing or something? I don't understand the question.

3. penut1799

Dec 31, 2010
    North Fort Myers, FL
    I dont know what to put on the bottom of the brooder. ( sand or wood chips)
    [​IMG]

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Have you checked out BYC's learning center? Here's a link to a bunch of helpful tips on setting up your brooder, feeding your chicks, etc.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-first60days.html

If you have any questions after reading this article, we'll be happy to answer them! [​IMG]

5. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
  6. penut1799

Dec 31, 2010
    North Fort Myers, FL
    Oh thank you! I forgot about that! [​IMG]

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/

go
    to this link, our BYC home page and read Raising Chickens 101...

It will get you all ready!
    And [​IMG]

You can line the bottom of your brooder with pine shavings, with paper towels over that for a couple days, then remove it and the chicks will do great...
    Place your feeder and waterer on a block of wood or something similar to avoid waste of food and shavings in water, they love to scratch even as new babies...

Come back with any questions you may have...

8. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:For the first few days it's best to use something like paper towel (not newspaper, it's too slippery). This way they'll learn to eat their food and not the bedding.

After that, it's entirely up to you! Both kinds of bedding are great and have their own advantages. Pine shavings absorbs spills, whereas sand does not. Sand, on the other hand, often has less smell and doesn't clog up waterers and feeders as much as pine shavings. Shavings you can just scoop out the dirty stuff, but with sand you can use a scooper (you want something with a fine mesh, like a reptile scoop). The plus side of sand is that you won't need to feed your chicks much grit, if any at all.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

9. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:For the first few days it's best to use something like paper towel (not newspaper, it's too slippery). This way they'll learn to eat their food and not the bedding.

After that, it's entirely up to you! Both kinds of bedding are great and have their own advantages. Pine shavings absorbs spills, whereas sand does not. Sand, on the other hand, often has less smell and doesn't clog up waterers and feeders as much as pine shavings. Shavings you can just scoop out the dirty stuff, but with sand you can use a scooper (you want something with a fine mesh, like a reptile scoop). The plus side of sand is that you won't need to feed your chicks much grit, if any at all.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

What they said![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by