Need help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grand-hen-ma, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    One of my girls, Oreo, is very sick. She has lost a great deal of weight and feels like skin and bones. She has plenty of food and water too. I see her eat a tiny bit and drink a little. But most of the time all she does is sit by herself. There is no discharge from her nose and she doesn't sneeze either. She is not active either, not even when I offer scratch, worms or rice. Her crop seems like it has a very tiny amount in it as well. I have added a couple pictures to show how she stands all the time, like a seagull. Anyone have an idea what could be wrong? I have her in a small pen by her self. I have done the worm thing about 6 months ago and I have also been treating with tetracyclene I got from TRS. None of my other girls are like this. Any ideas what could be wrong with Oreo? She is also about 6 months old. I know the front of her looks puffy but that is just feathers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    anyone???

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It possibly could be cocci. I recommend you purchase corid (amprolium) at your feedstore (cattle section.) You can buy either the 9.6% liquid solution or the 20% soluable powder. Dosage for the 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5cc'c per gallon of water for 5 days. Dosage for the 20% soluable powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. Make a fresh batch daily and don't add anything into the mixture... ie vitamins, ACV etc... You'll most likely have to use a syringe without a needle to dose her orally because she's too sick to drink the treated water on her own. Draw a syringeful of the mixture, pull her wattles down and squirt a little in her mouth and let go of her wattles so that she'll swallow it on her own. Repeat til she swallows all the mixture from the syringe. You'll have to do this 4 or 5 times a day til she's able to drink on her own.

4. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    x2: cocci

treat her and the whole flock. quickly.

5. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Thank you Dawg and chickengrandma. I appreciate the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by