Need Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by momof3baldwins, Apr 1, 2012.

1. momof3baldwins

momof3baldwins New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Our first chick hatched today. It has been about 6 hours and he is not fluffy, but hes not wet either. Its like all his feathers dried in clumps. He is flopping around on his back, and when I turn him over onto his feet/stomach, he just flops right back onto his back. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do for him? Also, the incubator they are in has a wire mesh floor. Is that ok for them for the first day or so after they hatch? I dont want them to get spraddle legged. Thanks!

2. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    How is she doing? It sounds normal to me, unless she can't walk a bit by 24 or so hours.

3. momof3baldwins

momof3baldwins New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Right now she is just flopping around on her back and cheeping. I didnt know if this was normal or not, this is our first time hatching! It concerns me that when I flip her onto her stomach she goes right back to her back.

4. hondo58

hondo58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    She's still in the incubator right? Aren't you in lockdown?

Most folks use shelf liner on top of the mesh wire. It's easier to clean up after and makes a nicer surface for them.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by