Need Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smoke202, Jan 10, 2014.

1. smoke202

smoke202 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I got chickens last March. As of January they look like they are about 20 weeks old. They have a pale comb. Eating habits are very good. They never grew stayed small. Haven't laid any eggs. Have tried antibiotics & worm medicine. Nothing has helped. Does anyone have any idea what caused this.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. What breed are your chickens? Different breeds of chickens can be different sizes, and will lay at different ages. Most chickens don't start laying until after 20 weeks, except the high production birds who can start near 16 weeks. Their combs may start reddening-up a few weeks before starting to lay. When chickens come into lay this time of the year when the daylight hours are short, they may not start laying until the days get longer. It is not good to treat with antibiotics unless they have an infection, and you know what you are treating. Chickens who have coccidosis as chicks can have intestinal damage that can stuck their growth and decrease egg production.

3. smoke202

smoke202 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    They are Delaware, welsummer, Americana. I got them March 3 2012. I purchased other chickens from the same hatchery. They have all grown to adult birds. I have goggle an searched all over for answers. They never grew an the combs are not red not like a young chicken would be. They are colorless around the eye. I also purchased Cuckoo Maran. Got two roosters. The one has a pea comb. Can't find any answers as to why. But thanks for the response hope this can maybe help u to help me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by