Need help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ClemsonAg, Jan 25, 2014.

1. ClemsonAg

ClemsonAg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    So, I purchased two 1 year old hen Easter eggers the last week from a free range backyard flock. There were about 300 chickens there. I went to do some health check on them today and noticed small white worms moving around their vents. Is this intestinal? Is this a common problem? Also what should I do for a dewormer? Any help is appreciated as I haven't had this problem yet with my other chickens.

2. alyxl02

alyxl02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Did you take these chickens to a vet or animal doctor to get this health check? If so, the doctor should of told you or shown you something like a de-wormer to help get rid of these white worms because I've never had them in my chickens or any chickens I know so I wouldn't think they are doing any good for the chickens.

If the doctor or veterinarian did not tell you about anything, a good idea is to go to the vets and show them the worms and ask them what you should do about them.

Good Luck

alyxl02

3. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Where I live there are no "chicken vets". Even if there were, taking a chicken to the vet would easily cost the owner two times to several times the cost of the chicken. For that reason the majority of people who keep chickens do their own doctoring. Before I jumped into using a chemical dewormer or anything of that sort I would go the natural way. Here is an excellent website to help you out. This information can be trusted unlike some medical advise you will find...

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-story-of-gnarly-bunch-chapter-1.html?m=1

4. alyxl02

Jan 25, 2014
    Well if you were really desperate, you would drive out of town to find one.

5. alyxl02

Jan 25, 2014
    If you have no vets or animal doctors around, look online and usually there will be a number or email you can contact to ask them about what you could get or do.

6. ClemsonAg

Jan 24, 2014

Thanks for the info. I have a decent background in animal science (mostly large livestock), so I usually do not go to the vet for many small scale animal problems. Besides that, poultry vets are very very few and far between. That's why they make the big bucks. I am simply trying to find out if it is treatable, and what the best approach is. I suppose I'll continue researching, and I do appreciate the feedback.

7. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Go to this thread and ask these folks. I'm sure they can help you out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/729605/the-natural-chicken-keeping-thread-ots-welcome

8. ClemsonAg

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks!

9. ClemsonAg

Jan 24, 2014
    [​IMG]just went out and checked again. Guess my eyesight is getting worse. These are poultry lice, correct?

10. alyxl02

Jan 25, 2014
    Yes they are poultry lice. There are a few dusts made especially for them and similar lice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by