Need Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dr1939, Sep 6, 2014.

1. dr1939

dr1939 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2012
    I have a bantam that hatched three eggs (not hers) but she was broody so I got her three eggs from a friend. She has been very protective of them and seems to take good care of them. However I noticed one that seems to have what looked like pecking places on both sides of it's neck. And this morning I saw the bantam pecking on the neck of one of the others. Can someone tell me what is causing this bantam to do this to the chicks and what I can do about it. Should I be putting some kind of medication on the one rhat has spots on both sides of it's neck. It almost looks like it is molting the feathers are gone and looks like you can see it's skin. THis is my first time with chicks so I don't know if this is common or what. Thanking you in advance.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old are these chicks? Is there just missing feathers, or are there wounds? Broodies will peck at their chicks to keep them in line and get them to listen, but they don't cause wounds. More likely would be that she isn't protecting them and the other birds in the flock are getting the chicks.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  3. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

What breed of Bantam is it? Some make good mothers and some don't just like the larger breeds. At this point, if she is pecking/picking at more than one chick I think I would remove the chicks and brood them in a brooder until they are ready to be out with the larger birds.

4. dr1939

Nov 5, 2012
    They are four weeks old today . I'm not sure what breed the bantam is but the chicks are almost as big as she is at four weeks. There doesn't appear to be any broken skin that I can see just missing feathers like she was molting. I might add the one that is pecked so much is the largest and most aggressive(maybe a rooster). Thanks for your reply so many times on here I ask a question and don't get any replies.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The chicks are missing feathers, correct? If there is no wound, only missing feathers, then I'd leave the chicks with her and just watch them. If the hen is missing feathers, the chicks are "playing" with her. I've seen chicks peck mother hens in the eye and the hen just lets them do it. She could also be beginning her molt, the timing is right for that to start.

6. dr1939

Nov 5, 2012
    Thanks for the reply . I would have to guess from your explanation that she is just keeping them in line They are 4 weeks old today and they are kept apart from the other chickens it is jut the little bantam and the 3 chicks who are almost as big as she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by