Need helping determining Gender of sweet silkies! I'm a newbie!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sunnysongbird, Jul 20, 2011.

1. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi there! I have three sweet silkies, all are almost 4 months old. I know the gender of one of them (he's got the big red gobble) and he is a rooster because he has crowed, but I am unsure about the other two. So i'm requesting for help because i'm a newbie and i don't know much about chickens. Thanks for helping! here's a picture of all three of them. I know the gender of the one on the left since he has crowed. his name is honey. He's a sweet roo, but he manages to always peck the other two.
    [​IMG]
    Honey on the left, Hawk in the middle, Sunny on the left.

The biggest of the three is Sunny, (bigger than the roo in size) and it's a white silkie. It used to be the "leader" and would peck the other two when it was younger, but now the brown one with the gobble named Honey who crows has taken charge and pecks at all of them! Sunny has a high chirp, and eats a lot. Here are a few pictures of sunny
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there is hawk who is the smallest. It has a curved beak and is VERY quick and alert. Sadly, it gets beaten up by Honey the roo all the time. We think she's a Hen but aren't sure. Sunny and Hawk usually spend more time together than Honey (haha maybe because Honey always attacks both of them!) But hawk is very sweet a bird.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, Sunny is the white silkie and Hawk is the brown silkie without the gobble.
    Thanks for your help and tell me if I should upload more pictures!
    [​IMG]:yiipchick

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Hawk at least looks like a girl. But Silkies are very hard to sex - most of the time your best bet is to wait until they crow or lay an egg. Wishing you better luck than I had! (Both of mine are cockerels.)

3. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    Hawk looks like a pullet..You know that the red comb it not right on a silkie..
    And Sunny look like a cockerel, but does he have a straight comb? if so you may have mixed silkies..
    You should get silkie feathers chicks from them with them being silkie feathered....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    2 boys 1 girl

5. Nicolette'sFarmette

Nicolette'sFarmette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    California!
    I think I need a silkie! They are so cute! [​IMG]

6. sunnysongbird

Jul 20, 2011
    Thanks everyone! Oh that's what I dreaded, 2 cockerels...but at least there's a pullet. Sunny does have a straight comb with red on the tips. Any tips on how I can get both of the roosters to cooperate with one another instead of fighting with one another in the future? Thanks! [​IMG]

7. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Honey is a boy, look at that big ol' comb. They are all really cute! [​IMG]

8. sunnysongbird

Jul 20, 2011
    aww thanks [​IMG]
    yup Honey is definately a roo, he crowed a few weeks back [​IMG]

9. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:If roosters are brought up together then they wont fight much at all. Just the occasional little squabble.

10. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I agree...2 boys and 1 girl. I got 7 silkies and got 5 boys and 2 girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by