Need hens quiet until 7 am...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crumptz, Mar 25, 2012.

1. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    I have 5 chicks. I am in process of building my coop and an attached run. I have spoken to my neighbors and they really don't care if I have chickens... as long as they are quiet until 7am.. So, how do I do that???

2. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    My girls are fairly quiet until they hear me coming to let them out in the morning. You could always keep them shut up in the coop until 7:00.

3. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

How far is the coop from their ears? Maybe plan to allow to add insulation if it really is an issue.

/scott

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010

I just keep them in the coop until 7AM. It help if the coop is little on the dark side.

5. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Mine start making noise as soon as the sun comes up. Although they are not locked in the coop, only the coop & run.

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    We would let our hens out of the coop first thing in the morning but a couple of them really liked to make some noise. We shifted their out time to 8:00 to 8:30 and that solved the problem. At least for us they tend to stay quiet while in the coop, or if they do make some noise once in a while it's quite as loud.

7. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    Thanks everyone! I guess I have to wait and see what these chicks do when they grow up and then deal with it then! It's an adventure, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by