Need homemade hanging feeder ideas!

Namble

Songster
10 Years
May 20, 2009
North Florida
I want to build a hanging feeder that can feed 34 chickens. My dad built one from a 5 gallon bucket years ago but its falling apart plus it didn't work that good. I can't decide if i want to use plastic or sheet metal. I don't want to buy one because they are so expensive. So if anyone has any ideas on how to build one then let me know.

Last month someone posted this link in a thread about bucket feeders....

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/slate119.html

If you have a 5 gallon bucket or can get one ( or even a smaller bucket - check the deli section at the grocery store, restaurants etc) that has no been used for chemicals and stuff you can make one for free or almost free.....You can use the plastic party tray or one of those plastic bottoms for big flowerpots...the clear type is too flimsy but the brown or green ones are sturdy. If you don't have one, check Goodwill or places and you should be able to pickone up for a few cents.... I only have a few chickens and did no want 5 gallon bucket but the size of the big ice cream buckets (5 pints) works for me....They even have handles
smile.png

I made a few months ago. Used some heavy plastic 12" flower pots with no holes (never did figure out what they were made for?), but a 3 gallon plastic bucket would work well, too. I drilled two 1/2" holes (directly across from each other) near the open top to hang with a small nylon rope. Around the bottom, I drilled four 2" holes (spaced evenly around the side ). I had found some round metal feed pans at WalMart in the pet section--the pan should be larger in diameter than the bucket. Drilled a hole in the bottom of the pot (bucket) and in the bottom center of the pan, and attached with a bolt, washer and nut. Hang up with nylon cord. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. They have worked like a charm for me for many months.

Our bucket feeder works great. We're currently using a flower pot base for the bottom, but would probably look into a drain oil pan or large animal (horse,etc) feed pan in the future. That way the holes could be larger in the bucket, allowing more feed to go in the base. (FYI - you'll have to check out the site for the $3500 feeder - lol)

Check out my BYC page. Turns out, it was really similar to the one posted in that other link, except I hadn't seen that link when I made mine. I had just gone to the local thrift store looking for anything that might work, saw the vegie tray and decided to try it. Nice thing was, the tray only cost me $1 and I was able to use the tray for the feeder and its lid for the waterer. The buckets were free at the grocery store's deli section so both together cost me just the $1. I have since modified mine to put the holes in the bottom of the bucket because it wasn't feeding that well with them in the sides. I have more buckets and could just start over but I'm being lazy - getting the bolts into the tray between the "ribs" of the vegie tray was not that easy....

Back
Top Bottom