need homemade waterer ideas

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenshiha, Jun 5, 2016.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    Well first of I don't think I should post it here but anyway I made lots of waterers that keep leaking and spilling I made over 20 of them same problem I even made one hole once really low so some little water come and don't spill but always spills please show me yours and how you did it and tell me what I did wrong thanks

2. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    Well no one interested to share... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    if you go to my profile and see embedded photos, there's one that i made

CT

4. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    Thanks ctken

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    :thumbsup

6. ladynewtochicks

ladynewtochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Montana
    This is mine and I love it 5 nipples for $15 on Amazon and a tote from Walmart. I used clear because mine is inside the coop. No leaks, no soggy shavings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    Thanks but personally I don't like nipples anyways I can't find and where I live I can't ship from the internet I want normal home made don't want to be mean don't get me wrong

8. ladynewtochicks

ladynewtochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Montana

Curious where you live that they don't ship from the Internet...

9. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    [​IMG]

Ok, my friend. You wish to make a gravity waterer. This requires a very good seal and no other holes except the one in the bottom side. You need a dish about 25 cm in diameter with an edge of about 3cm depth. this can be the bottom of a 20 liter or so bucket. You then need a smaller plastic container 10-15 liters that will fit inside the one cut from the larger one. Leaving about 2 to 3 cm gap all the way around. It can be larger but chicks can fall in and drown. The inner container must have a airtight lid that can be opened to fill and resealed. If it doesn't the it will not work. The bottom of the container needs to be sealed to the pan. The cut a small 6-8 mm hole in the side at the bottom. As the water fills the pan and covers the hole it will stop the flow of water until the chickens drink it down. Then it will allow some air to enter and break the vacuum and refill the dish.

I haven't got any pictures of the process but understand that the seal top and bottom must not leak air or water or it won't work. I will try this week to make one for you to see how it is done.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by