Need Hummingbird Feeder**UPDATE**new pics

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Zenbirder, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    After the hummingbirds nest up north of us, they come to the mountains of New Mexico for the end of summer and early fall. every year we happily await their arrival, and are overjoyed when they leave. Already I am making between 1 1/2 and 2 gallons of sugar water a day! [​IMG]
    Now it will get worse before it gets better, we have hit 2 1/2 gallons a day two summers ago. Here is my question for everyone - I need another feeder like the one pictured below. It is by Perky-Pet and holds almost one gallon of food. The company quit making them and I have been unable to find one for sale, ebay etc. anywhere. If you know someone who would sell me one please let me know. Filling feeders multiple times a day gets to be a drag!
    "Hey honey, the feeder is empty AGAIN!!!" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone!
    [​IMG]

**UPDATE**
    The feeders available now from Perky-pet that they call "jumbo" are really too small, we have several and have to fill them about three times a day now. That is why I am searching for the model they no longer manufacture. Thanks everyone! These photos I took this morning. I wish you could hear the roar of all those wings. There are more feeders over my shoulder and I am guessing 100 to 150 birds around at once, they move way to fast to actually count them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  2. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    [​IMG] Sorry I wish I could help. heck I wish I had one humming bird around here. Wishing you all the luck.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
  4. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Hey Zenbirder- I wanted to comment on how lucky you are to have the hummingbirds around like that - we rarely see them around here. But then, I suppose as with anything else...too much of a good thing...

Good Luck!

5. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    Wow cool!!!
    And I was gripin about have to make a 2 quart container every weekend!
    Let me say it again...WOW!!!
    I wish I could see it, I throughly enjoy our daily hummingbird visits.

How about filling a large chick feeder and rig it to hang?
    Really what you need it a continuous drip method that you could fill from the other end??? hummm! sorry no help here.
    But WOW

6. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    I count 10 anybody else???

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    i see 10 ,too [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I got 10 too!

9. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    could you make one out of a large 2 liter type bottle? just a thought!

10. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Thanks everyone. Homemade feeders usually are not worth the trouble. The main problem are bees, they will attack any small opening, drip etc. The bees have not been bad this year, which is good because we feed families of orioles also. We have ant guards with water to help stop the ants. There are lodges in this general area that cater to hummingbird watchers, and birders in general. Last count I have seen around 78 species of birds on my property at one time or another and fly-overs don't count. Funny thing is there are at least two dozen more species I have seen within a couple of miles of our property, just not here, including two more species of hummingbirds! I really want to find another Perky-pet feeder, they are really easy to maintain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by