Need ideals for button quail habitat 350g aquarium.......

Discussion in 'Quail' started by katheria, Jun 5, 2011.

1. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    I have a empty 350g aquarium sitting in my living room.... yes its HUGE for plenty of room to work with
    im figuring that this is more than enough for a pair of buttons LOL

this tank has a canopy system with 6 fans (in and out) for air movement in the tank will not be a issue.
    also a 440watt full spectrum light system.

ive done research and know they naturally live from grasslands to forested areas.
    im wanting to recreate as natural habitat as possible for them, including live plants.

here are the ?'s

what are some good plant choices?
    no toxic that they can live with...

substrate:

soil mainly with a area of sand for dust baths on opposite end of tank? or should i just go sand and use containers for the plants?
    skip the below if no soil....

cleanup: was thinking of using redworms in substrate for poop breakdown.??? i know worms carry gapworms, but do they effect buttons like they do some wild birds?

in one corner of tank, running waterfall that empties into a small pond with pump and filter.
    just wondering how quickly this will get dirty? or should i skip this ideal all together and just hide a waterer in the plants?

speak up i wanna hear idea's LOL...

this tank has been sitting empty for too long and I dont want to have to move the tank LOL its too danged heavy for i need something to live in it [​IMG]

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I kinda wondered about putting some in a tank to. Don't know about the whole water fall thing.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Personally I Dont Do Gambirdeous Pigmi Speces [​IMG]

But I Have In The Past. Biggest Issue I See Is Hygene As Like With All Quail They're Kinda Related To Skunks In That They Stink!

So The Biggest Issue I See Is Substrate For Flooring That Can Easily Be Cleaned And Replaced Cost Effectively As It Will Be A Necessity Unfortunately.

I'd Think If I Were To Seriously Try It I Would Just Use That Clumping Scoopable Reptile Sand??? Though I Have No Idea How "cost Effective" It Would Be??

4. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    If you use a waterfall it will get very messy and need to be cleaned about every day. But if you are willing to get a little dirty, a waterfall would look really cool with buttons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by