Need Ideas for 4 yr old grandson

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by dkvart1, Mar 21, 2011.

1. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Hi folks, my daughter and I have been racking our brains for "projects" for her 4 year old son to do. He's a rather unusual child in that he's always been extremely inquisitive and has been reading for over 2 years now(she started him w/baby can read, and at 2 1/2 he could read words like excellence and boilingbrook!!). He's like a little sponge and wants to know everything!!

Just to give you an idea, he can count to 100 by 1's, 5's 10's, do simple addition and subtraction, can identify all the states on a map that doesn't show the names of the states, has a world globe and can identify about 1/2 the countries on it. He puts together puzzles like I've never seen before, can even do them with the picture side down!! Talk about good spatial ability! He has had a library card for a year now and checks out books on meteors, the moon, volcanos (he loved the build your own volcano project she got for him for christmas and understands the difference between magma, lava, etc...) He's really into cars and can identify most makes, really into large trucks, reads Motor Trend (sure there are some words that he doesn't know, but he reads all that he does know and tries to sound out those he doesn't... and reads the tire descriptions in sales flyers.)

She's making arrangements to have him tested so the school has time to figure out what to do with him, but we realize we may end up homeschooling him as nobody in her area does anything like gifted programs until the kids are older and we don't want him to be bored, like some many kids and lose interest in learning.

My daughter has never pushed these things on him mind you... he wants to know and she goes with it. She always ignores the age recommendations on projects, because they simply don't apply much to him. He's very hands on.

She's trying to find projects that are hands on for him, that aren't overy expensive (they, like many we hit hard with the recession and struggling to make ends meet and found out 2 weeks ago that they are expecting again, they hadn't planned on another one!) I'd appreciate any ideas you folks have, any links to educational websites that you've found that have projects on them. I know there are some homeschoolers on here who might know of some great websites and projects.

I would deeply appreciate any recommendations you folks have as we are running out of ideas!

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    When I started homeschooling my kids I just did a Google search for free school worksheets and projects. I then found the web-sites and downloaded and printed them out. I would try that. There are a lot of great easy projects that he can do. How about having him use clay to make different things that he is interested in you can get the clay that can be dried then painted. I hope you find something that helps. good luck.

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    are you looking for crafty things or just educational ?

if you google search worksheets for kids a whole pile of web sites come up...

I like this one
    http://www.kidzone.ws/

if you want craft ideas let me know.. i have a few my daughter is very crafty

I saved my egg shells after cracking them... we planted seeds in them and started a herb garden last year...

mis matched socks turn into puppets.. (my 8 yr old has her own sewing machine she loves to sew)

little pieces of wrapping paper thats to small for presents we glued them to a old pickle jar and made a treasure jar... she uses it to hold hair ties right now

take old newspaper and make paper mache piggy banks

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
  5. dkvart1

Nov 5, 2010
    Schellie69, I think he would enjoy the clay project idea

Dar, thanks for the link to kidzone I'll definately check it out. They planned on doing a small garden this year, I'll mention the eggshells, great idea. I like the puppet idea too!!

pdsavage, thanks for the link to science fair projects, I'm sure we'll find things there that interest him.

Thank you all so much!

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    The ZOOM website has all kinds of science and cooking things for kids to do.

The Steve Spangler website has experiments and other things. He sells stuff, but there is lots of interesting things to do on his pages.

I've helped make science kits for our elementary school, there are tons of things on the web, with ideas for easy projects and demos. We do ones with invisible ink, convection currents in water, balloon in a bottle, paper and milk rainbows, floating a paperclip, turning a white flower different colors, alka-seltzer rockets, and even some secret code stuff.

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/

7. dkvart1

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks for the link mom's folly, I'm sure we'll find stuff there to do with him!

8. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Wow what a amazing smart child!! I thought about gettig the baby can read for my granddaughter.
    Maybe I should and since my spelling is terrible I could follow along lol.....

9. dkvart1

Nov 5, 2010
    LOL Jen5680, my daughter is the same way! They tested her in third grade thinking she might be dyslexic, which I didn't believe for a minute. She could read at a high school level and understand everything she read, conclusion of tests, spelling simply wasn't important to her and never has been!

10. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    He is a tad young but you might consider music and art classes also. I started playing piano at 6. Supposedly there is a link between math and musical aptitude. My son was a lot like this. We focused on things the school would not cover since we had hopes that he would attend public school. He did make it through 1st grade before we were both so frustrated I was ready to scream. We ended up homeschooling out of sense of self preservation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by