need ideas for a temperary coop for 17 chicks pics please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueseal, Apr 19, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have 17 new chicks there 3 weeks old right now. standard layers . trying to get ideas for a coop with room enough to raise them now until 18 weeks . and then i,ll put them in with the other flock. i have a 12x12 covered run. just need shelter ideas for them at night. thanks.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. I would get 4' welded wire, crimp ties or tie wire, make a good sized tractor, placing wire on all 4 sides. You will need to use a 1/2 inch size hardware cloth for a night time secure area from critters. make sure you leave a end open for food and water replacement. Also you can move the cage once a day to mow your lawn. Either that, bring the cage into a secured building or garage for the night but put down plastic, set on blocks so you dont get droppings on the floor.
    Good luck.

3. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I have ducks but I think my quick pen would work well for chickens too. See my website to the left. Scroll down until you see ducks. Good luck!

4. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:i have the run its 12x12 with a roof . what size house should i build them this is just temperary until there big enough to go in the big girl coop. thanks.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    We look some scrap 4 ft chicken wire and used the poles under the grapevine to nail it to. Then we put a large dog house/kennel in there for them to get out of the weather. We lock them up in the kennel at night.

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    would a big dog house work? I would think you may still have low temps this time of year. I sectioned off part of my coop when mine were young.

7. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:yeah im probably gonna wait until 7 or 8 weeks before they go out . been mid 30s to low 40s at night latley. there 3 weeks old on wednesday. and ther still in brooder at my brothers so they probably wont be comeing home for 3 more weeks he said there gettin ansy wanting to fly out of the brooder.

8. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I would think that you could build something like a 4x4 dog house in the center of the run since it is covered, if you have a way to put some heat in there on cold nights. That small of a space would be cozy and warm, they could be out during the day in the run so they won't feel too crowded. Something simple that wouldn't take much lumber and would be easy to take down later.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have my 10-7 weekers and my 2-3 1/2 weekers in a garage-we made a plywood brooder=4ft tall 8 ft long by 4 ft wide..tons of shavings and 2 heats lamps that hang down-they are doing great-my 2 littleest ones are in a big dog crate with flannel blankets around it and on top-with a heating lamp and little nesting box-they are also doing great-got down to 20 degrees last night but they were all fine this am!!

10. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    How about a temporary chicken tractor for just keeping them in at night. Will

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by