Need Ideas for Breeder Pens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rebecky54, May 9, 2011.

1. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I need to get 3 breeder coops set up -- I already have the runs, just need something to lock them in at night. This is my busiest time of year and I have very little time to build anything, so I've been looking at the pre-fab model. I've read the poor reviews on Ware, Eglu is too expensive, Poultry Pods would blow away out here.

Anyone have experience with this coop on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MEDIUM-CHICKEN-...ultDomain_0&hash=item1e5f30f504#ht_1602wt_901

Hoop houses are out because I already have chain link runs set up -- just need a small coop for 3-5 birds.

Thanks for your ideas.

Becky

2. Rebecky54

Jun 7, 2010
    Oops I didn't see that it's coroplast too, so too lightweight.

Guess I'll just have to wait until I can build pallet coops

3. Rebecky54

Jun 7, 2010
    Okay, I really do need some ideas so I'm bumping mysel. [​IMG]

I won't be able to build from scratch until the end of June, but I'd really like to get some small breeder pens set up before then. I have chain link runs, I only need a small, summer only coop for 5 birds. Options:

Ware doghouse
    Ware premium chicken coop
    Winchester playhouse
    CConly coop (more than I want to spend)

Any input on the above?

Any other ideas.

Thanks so much for your help.

Becky

4. Rebecky54

Jun 7, 2010
    Anybody?

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    What about craigslist? You can find all sorts of cheap, usable crap on there.

I stole one of my kids' little tykes playhouses and am using that as a coop for the banties chicks that hatched on Easter.

The kids were cheesed off, but I make the food, and they'll get over it.

6. Rebecky54

Jun 7, 2010
    I live in North Dakota, and Craig's list is for the entire state. It's really not an option out here -- very sparsely populated and CL isn't used much.

A local store has the Winchester playhouse for $270 on sale. Does anyone know if the quality is good, or is it similar to Ware stuff?

Thanks,

Becky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by