Need ideas for brooding moms and the (hopefully) chicks to come

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TrystInn, Jul 2, 2011.

1. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I'm a Navy wife of a deployed sailor who barely knows what end of the hammer to hold. I can likely scrape some cash together to hire someone to build . . . something but I'd have to show them what I want. I'm desperate enough that those outdoor rabbit hutches are beginning to look good (but pricey).

And of course, I'm getting desperate watching all these feathered ladies sitting on eggs! I'm wondering if folks would be willing to share their brooding coops or whatever folks call their homes for the hen and chicks.

In advance, thank you!

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I love your first line. Maybe not right off but it will come. Just try. How much property do you have to raise chickens?

3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Do you have a large following for Craigs List? It's huge here and there are lots of dog kennels and dog houses on there for sale cheap! If CL is not a good source in your area look at some other classifieds tosee whats out there. If you use the chainlink kennel idea be sure to reinforce the bottim half with hardware cloth so nothing can pull chicks thorough. Also make a skirt around the exterior base so nothing digs under. Oh and dont forget wire across the top so nothing climbs over. Hard work making new homes and keeping them safe [​IMG]

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Thank you, Ole Rooster. Hubby and I are both city kids, so our upbringing didn't help us with our little hobby farm. And unfortunately, when you specialize in the Navy, you REALLY specialize. [​IMG]

We have a 1/2 acre here, so not much. But what we have is very much covered in Grand Firs, Alder, Blackberries and other thick foliage which provides natural cover to protect against the thousands of Bald Eagles who live on Whidbey Island. Our yard is mostly clay, which makes for great dusting, which our birds adore greatly.

Our CL is mostly heavy farm equipment, but I keep an eye out for useful things on a three times a day basis! I'd made arrangements with another chicken keeper for mini chicken tractors for each mamma and her chicks, but the deal fell through. [​IMG]

5. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    another good place for find free things is Yahoo Freecycle groups. I am not sure where you are but people can find dog kennels and scrap wood all the time. search for an area near you.
    good luck!
    We had a broody in April,loved watching her raise her chicks.

6. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Since I am from "east of the mountain", not sure just how close this is to you, 'Jul 2 - Chicken Coop and Run and four chickens - $300 (Shoreline) pic" from craigslist today, Seattle farm and garden... http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/grd/2474161693.html
    Maybe you can work out a way for them to deliver? I can't seem to post the actual link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by