Need ideas for quick, light weight chicken run

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MysteryChik, Jun 22, 2016.

1. MysteryChik

MysteryChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Our free range chickens, all eleven of them, have found their way into our garden. Or at least the tomatoes in our garden. Every tomato that even shows the slightest tint of orange, have been hollowed out and are gone. We have fifty plants, and can't even have one ripe tomato! Hence the reason, I need a run, like TODAY. We have fifteen chickens. Eleven of which are free range. (the other four,which we jut got recently prefer to stay in our large, open air coop all day) they were never let out to range where we got them from. Okay, so need some ideas on building an inexpensive, light weight, movable run, QUICK. hoping you all have some kind of ideas. Keep in mind I am a woman, and though my husband is very handy. He's working nights and sleeping days so this project is probably going to be on me. Have lots of materials on hand, as my husband and father are in the construction business and have a huge supply of leftover materials here on hand! Thank you in advance.

2. jen34chickies

jen34chickies Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Western Massachusetts
    I made a run out of PVC pipe. Very light weight and easy to move when needed.

3. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

Post some pics.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You might be better off fencing the tomatoes off. I use a 2x4 welded wire around my gardens and my chickens won't hop the fence. Mine is only 2 feet. I might use 3-4 feet tall if you are worried. Otherwise bird netting can work well to. If you try to contain free range birds they may have troubles with it behaviorally.

5. MysteryChik

MysteryChik Chillin' With My Peeps

The only problem with that is having enough fencing or wire to do it. Our garden (our tomatoes are spread in different areas throughout) is probably have the size of a football field. [​IMG]

6. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    I also suggest the PVC pipe coop- tractor. Here's a pic I found online

[​IMG]
    Good luck!
    Jenna

7. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    You can use any material you have if you do not have PVC such as wood,metal poles from signs, etc.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Well that won't work.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by