Need Ideas for SAFE outdoor brooder for Goslings

sunleacreations

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Maryland
I have 7 goslings of varying ages and they are taking over my house and even though i change the bedding everyday they are starting to smell. I would love to see some pics of brooders people have made. It will be going in out shed or barn but needs to be enclosed so nothing can get to them. I also need a safe heat source. I'm a little worried about putting a 250 watt heat lamp in the barn. I have 2 geese that are 3 weeks old and 5 that are 3 days old and more on the way. Our day time temps are 50-60 degrees and evening temps are 35-44. next week is going to be 15-20 degrees warmer.

You can adapt these to be built with hardware cloth and a hinged lid on it as well. Ours are 4x4x3 but they can be built any height, width you need. Use a ceramic heat emitter (found at pet stores, most often used with reptiles) they don't make light just heat.

how long do you keep yours under lights? my 3 week old goslings are not under a heat lamp anymore but are in our house. My little ones are still under a light but rarely use it but when i had chicks they used it all the time.

We are in FL and daytime temps are mid to upper 80's. All newly hatched to 1 week olds have a ceramic heat emitter above them all day and night. 1 week - 2 week get them turned on at night. After that most lights are off. When we feed and water each night I check and see if anyone is huddling and needs a light

They are in a secure building though that we have AC and running water in as well.

we are much colder up here. I think i may have come up with a solution using a VERY large rubbermaid bin, i'm going to cut the top and insert hardware cloth so i can put a light on top but the top can still click securely on the bin to keep anything out and i don't have to worry about the light falling in and hurting anyone. I'm going to try and talk my husband into letting me put them in his shed as apposed to the drafty barn. I may invest in a large eco glo just so i can sleep at night. i'm so worried something will mess with the heat lamp and catch fire!

Back
Top Bottom