Need Ideas for Temporary Pen for Broodies

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greenfamilyfarms, Jul 16, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I need some ideas for some inexpensive materials/items to use for temporary pens for broody hens. Does anybody have anything they use that they really like?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I use a large cat carrier if my broody will be staying in the garage with an area penned in so she can get out and go to the bathroom.......
    [​IMG]

I also have a brooder pen I built fairly inexpensive out of 1x2's and chicken wire and scrap wood I had laying around............
    [​IMG]

The top section is a single compartment. The middle and bottom one can be seperated but in this picture I have a ladder so the babies can have an upstairs and a downstairs. I have now added a door to the bottom so they can go outside to a fenced in run-safe from the bigger girls.

3. scarter

scarter Songster

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    Fleet Farm in WI right now has the wire rabbit wire cages for 29.99. These are the bigger ones. I can't remember the dimentions of the bigger ones but the smaller 24 X 24 were 19.99 on sale. The trays for the smaller were 12.99 not on sale. I did see that these ones that they sell at FF you can buy frames if later you want to use these permanently. Of course there is always the internet. I've seen plans for making these kinds of cages.

The other thing about these cages and the reason I was buying some is that they transport easily. We have way too many chickens going to fair this year. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    This is what I use. I bought this online through PetSmart. I don't know how economical it really is at $60, but I liked that it was compact, looked nice and was durable. I'm using it right now to house some chicks that hatched recently.

[​IMG]

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    That triangle pen is actually pretty cute! That may be an option.

We are re-constructing some of the runs and I have found that I have run out of space for the broodies. The kennel idea may also be a good option for now. The dollar store has them for $15 each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by