Need ideas for toting water

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
My birds live at my in-law's property, roughly 3-5 miles from my house. There is no running water.

I have been toting them water every day, and well, it's a pain but doable. I would really really really like to get a setup going that would allow me not to get wet while watering, you know, coz winter will be cold....
Solution so far: using a big cooler that has a threaded drain that will take a garden hose. Problem? It leaks around the drain/hose connection. Fine in the summer, not so much in the winter.

New idea: I have a blue barrel, 55gal drum, so I got some bung caps for it and a threaded one to attach a faucet - this faucet connection setup did not leak on me. Problem? I bought the barrel for $2 and when attempting to use it for water I discovered that somebody had previously tried to cut the top off (but only about 1/8 of the way around, hence I didn't notice) - so it leaks quite badly around the top of the barrel (not on the parts I put on).

I can get another barrel, another 55gal same as I have for $30 plus driving to pick it up about an hour away, or order online for $33-50 (depending if I want a 15gal or another 55gal) w/free shipping.
Anybody got any better ideas before I spend money??
tongue.png

ETA: I really only need about 6-10gal per day if I refill the buckets every day, but using a bigger "tank" has proven easier since I can leave it in the back of the truck and use a hose/faucet to dispense the water.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well I don't really have a roof to collect the water runoff from
hu.gif
and just setting out an open topped barrel to collect rain 1) seems like it would take forever to fill up 2) seems like it would grow a lot of algae and mosquitoes.

If I dump the buckets I need a minimum of 6 gal per day, plus any extra that spills or I use to rinse out the chicken's buckets.....it hasn't rained a significant amount here since spring.....I would have run out of water back in June if I was relying on rainfall.

Have you looked at one of those drink barrels that the camping equipment manufacturers put out for drinks? Usually they sit on end and have a spigot coming off of the side near the bottom to dispense water or other drinks. I think mine might be made by Coleman, or something, and I'm not sure how big it is, but I would think at least 6 gallons. You might try a search for that. I bought ours at Costco years ago for under $15, but like I said, it was probably at least 8 years ago. The other solution I can think of is to use some of those clear, heavy plastic cubes, with the hinged handle on top. I don't remember how much leakage there is around the top when you fill it, but you might find those in camping supply stores, and they shouldn't be too expensive.

Quote:
Well I don't really have a roof to collect the water runoff from
hu.gif
and just setting out an open topped barrel to collect rain 1) seems like it would take forever to fill up 2) seems like it would grow a lot of algae and mosquitoes.

If I dump the buckets I need a minimum of 6 gal per day, plus any extra that spills or I use to rinse out the chicken's buckets.....it hasn't rained a significant amount here since spring.....I would have run out of water back in June if I was relying on rainfall.

For when you do have a roof........
Set it up with a proper gutter, and run the downspout into a loosely fitted hole in the lid for the barrel.
It collects faster then you think and will not brred skeeters

Quote:
I may try something like that, but honestly I'm not holding my breath. I've not had any luck with sealing leaky waterers before.

Gutter caulking/sealant will work and it's only $4.99 tube at Home Depot(white or grey). Prep the surface with rubbing alcohol, apply a generous amount of caulk, then using your finger in a circular motion work it into and around the crack. Leave it kinda thick. Let it set up for 5 to 7 days. I haven't used the overpriced silicone caulk in years. I even use this stuff to seal cracks on the outside of the house before painting(yes it's paintable). It handles expansion/contraction very well and will not turn loose like silicone will. I've even used it to repair fish pond liners, some years ago and they still do not leak.

Back
Top Bottom