1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need ideas for when I go on vacation please!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by deapot2, Jun 14, 2016.

1. deapot2

deapot2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2015
    Indiana
    I'm going on vacation in about 2 weeks. I will be gone for 2 weeks. I have a flock of about 11 adult chickens, 6 adult ducks, 9 juvenile turkeys, and over a dozen little baby chicks and ducks. I'd planned ahead (or so I thought) with building an inverted PVC pipe feeder that I assumed would last about 3 days with feed. When I tested it the other day, the gluttons downed the ENTIRE thing in one day.

Now I am freaking out. I have no idea how to make their food last for 4-5 days while I am gone. I do have someone that is willing to check on them once or twice to feed and water. But everything I have found for food and waterers doesn't appear to be able to last.

Does anyone have ANY ideas?? Please!

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    How much feed did the pvc feeder hold? Did the birds waste a lot of feed by dumping it on the ground?

It seems a good feeder design to prevent *waste* is the DIY 5-gallon bucket with the 90-degree drain/waste-water elbow. It holds around 25 pounds of feed. Maybe you could make multiples of this type of feeder?

What are you doing for water?

Ed

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by