Need ideas/info on what makes what?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WyanLuv, Nov 15, 2008.

1. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    So I have some silver laced and golden wyandottes, some rir pullets and one lonely barred rock pullet and was just wondering if anyone has gotten anything interesting from crossing any of these? I immaturely thought at one time I could get a blue laced red by crossing the silver and the gold wyandottes but that was quickly cleared up after talking with some folks on here. So, has anyone had any interesting chickens come from crossing these kinds of chickens?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I believe the rocks and RIR make a sexlink, but since you have all pullets [​IMG] That won't do you much good!

3. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i thought that rocks and RIRs make black sex links?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Yeah I wasn't sure if they were black or red sexlinks, but if the op only has pullets it wouldn't matter anyway!

5. joerogrz

joerogrz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    I'm not totally sure, but I believe the SLW female and RIR male cross makes Golden Comets which are supposedly VERY good layers.

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:Yes, but it has to be RIR rooster over a BR hen. Not the other way around.

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    You could produce barred or black wyandottes from the silver laced and barred rock cross.

You could also produce a black tailed red wyandotte from the gold laced wyandotte and rhode island red cross.

It would take years of breeding to get the birds you want. One cross will not make the new varieties.

Tim

8. hot wing stables

hot wing stables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Quote:Yeah I wasn't sure if they were black or red sexlinks, but if the op only has pullets it wouldn't matter anyway!

yea most do i have two black sex links which was from rir and barred rock and redsexlinks come from rir and orp or rir and white leghorn.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by