Need ideas on a portable house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ella&clara, May 18, 2011.

1. ella&clara

ella&clara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Hi folks,
    I got 9 chickens, as a first-time keeper, thinking that surely we'd lose a couple before they reached adulthood, but they are all alive and well:) Not really understanding how big they would get, I think, I bought a chicken tractor that's about 4x4x8; it quickly became apparent that it was not enough room for them, and so I let them out into portable electric fencing during the day. The chicken tractor is heavy, what with the now unnecessary run attached to the front, and not big enough for 9 chickens to comfortably sleep. So I am looking for a movable chicken house (no run) for them to sleep in, with a steep enough roof to discourage roosting on top of it because they accidentally fly off the roof and out of the pen. Any ideas on this? I want it as light as possible, possibly with wheels on it, because I'm moving it through some fairly rough areas with pine cones and clumps of grass and stuff. Thank you!

2. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    two words: hoop coop

3. ella&clara

ella&clara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Thank you, I never thought of that! I want something small and light-weight, and I am thinking I could perhaps make only the "house" portion, not the "run" portion since I'll be letting them out during the day, and maybe make the curves out of PVC pipe or something light-weight? And cover it with wire and tarp or that plastic roofing stuff? I live in SC and the weather is nice most of the year and I have a traditional "chicken pen" and house to put them in when the weather is really nasty (rare). I think the cattle panels woudl be overkill in my case. I am a fairly strong woman, I would say, but I want this to be something I can move when I want, by hand, without me having to wait around for my husband to come home and help me. I can move the chicken tractor, but it's a job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by