Need ideas on how to convince hens to roost on perch

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dmartin, Nov 2, 2009.

1. dmartin

dmartin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    I have 4 wonderful RIR hens, they are still a little too young to start laying yet, but I purchased them from a fellow that allowed them to free range until coyote started to show up for meals. He put them in small cages under shelter but I didn't notice any perches for roosting. My hens havel perch that has not been used because they like to huddle together on the floor of the coop to sleep. I had to take the nesting boxes out of the coop because they started sleeping (3 in one box) and 1 sitting guard duty on the lip of the nesting box every night. I didn't want them to thing this is their new bed, but even with me removing the nesting boxes they still huddle in the same place on the floor to sleep. Long story short..... does anyone out there have any idea's as to how I can convince them to roost on the perch? [​IMG]

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Every night for like, a month, in the evening when they are in for the night, pick them up and put them on the roost. It worked for me. But, then I wondered "does it relly matter?" I have some now that are about 2 months old and as long as they aren't in the nests they can sleep where they want.

3. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I would go in there and put them up there after dark.When they wake up in the morning they will be on the roost. After awhile I think they will get it. Be patient, It may take awhile. But keep doing it. Will

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Especially for a larger breed like RIR, it will help if your roosts are flat and wide, as in, the wide side of a 2x4.

5. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I got 7 30 week old hens that had been raised in a horse stall without a roost. The first night 3 of them went up to the roost with the other hens that I had. 4 of the new hens were huddling together in a corner. After dark I picked them all up and put them on a roost. Since then (about a week ago) two of the 4 are consistently giong up to the roost. I still have 2 "diehards" who are still bedding down on the floor. I pick them up and put them on a roost. I'll probaby do this for a week or so before I give up on them. As long as they aren't sleeping in a nest I really don't care.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Some of them will choose not to roost. There's no reason they have to if they're in a secure coop. If they were outside sleeping on the ground I'd be concerned but otherwise why worry about it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by