1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Ideas On What To Use To Clean And Soften Up My Paint Brushes

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kuntrygirl, Nov 1, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I painted about a week ago and I left all of the paint brushes outside. I tried soaking them in warm water and a little soap but they are still hard. Does anyone know what I can do to soften up my paint brushes? [​IMG]

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Soak them in white vinegar. They'll be like new.

3. littlefork

littlefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Use Krud Kutter, we buy it at Lowes, don't dilute it, use full strength. I forgot to clean one of my favorite brushes about a month ago after a long day of painting and it was hard as a rock and I thought it was ruined, but after soaking for about 24 hours, and a good cleaning it looks like brand new. I love Krud Kutter.

4. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Goof Off works well and so does paint stripper, I discovered that one by accident! I was stripping the paint off a dresser I found at Goodwill and the only brush I could find was hard from paint. I poured the stripper in a coffee can put the brush in and within a minute or two the brush was soft again! Good luck!!

5. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Soak them in either paint thinner or mineral spirits ( but not both at the same time! ) for about a week or so. Keep the bucket or bowl you're using covered so it doesn't evaporate.

When they seem to be pliable again, wash with lots of soap and water. I've painted for years and have had to do this several times.

If the brushes are bent up and splayed, you can run them under very hot water and form them back into their previous shape and let cool. That only works on quality brushes though.

6. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Would the vinegar work for water based paints? I can't use oil based or thinners (lung issue)

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I tried the vinegar but it didnt work. [​IMG] So, I'm going to try the next suggestion
    Krud Kutter

. I'll let ya'll know.​

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Quote:How long did you soak them for? I'm sorry it didnt work for you. I hope something else does. I'm sure goof off will help though.

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:How long did you soak them for? I'm sorry it didnt work for you. I hope something else does. I'm sure goof off will help though.

They have been soaking since the day I posted - Tuesday, November 1, @ 5:30 PM. Not long enough? How long should I let them soak?

10. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Brush cleaner. It is caustic, but it does what it's designed to do. I have nothing but expensive brushes, and sometimes, due to situations, things get out of hand, and a brush sets up, with paint in it. I try to find a container, which is just a bit larger than the brush, because the stuff isn't cheap....A Spam can works well, or if you had some small brushes, an old tobacco tin would work well...Soak, rinse, soak and wash with a stong cleaner. Form the bristles and wrap in the store container or in aluminum foil so that the bristles will hold their shape. A brush comb works well to get all of the paint out of the head of the brush. Too many brushes are ruined because paint is never removed from the head.

It works well, in a couple of hours, maybe 1/2 day.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by