Need ideas..pond/pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SamG347, Sep 20, 2010.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    What do you all use for your Bantam ducks in general for a pond/pool. I will be putting this in my Mandarin pen..I want something that is cheap to build...not too big.....and easily drained for cleaning.
    Any ideas and pics are appreciated!
    [​IMG]

2. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    this is my set up - found the kennel on craigslist - out door carpet and pool at the local hardware store. Cheap and easy - I just spray it out with a hose in the mornings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    this is mine for my duck and goose.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its a 150 gallon stock tank with a drain on the side. i drain it once to twice a month and the the drain is on the side so it drains out of the run. a 300 gallon is more cost effective because its only 20-40 dollars more then the 150 gallon one which is $150. i filled the bottom with rocks so that is covers up the poop and i but some water plants in for them to eat. their are cinder blocks for the to get in and out and incase a chicken ever fell in.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Quote:once or twice a MONTH? That's it. Does it not get nasty?
    Do they not chow down on your hostas?

5. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Check out some other peoples ponds in the link in my signature.

6. shaft0463

shaft0463 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    I have the large kiddie pool from WalMart. It's somewhat buried to allow them to get in more easily since they refuse to use a ramp. I have a hose stuck into it, and every other day I just turn the hose on and let it run for a long time.

7. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

I got this pond @ Menards.. called the Key Largo.. 250gal... I put a tub drain in the one end... very slightly tilted.. drains in 5 min.. I have a water pump on the other end.. I hose it down (scrub and bleach once a week) and refill.. takes about 15 - 20 min to fill.. It has ledges all around which I throw their treats on and they can stand on . I do throw a big blanket on the rocks that lead up to the pond ( for comfort) as they like to sleep there... I basically have NO clean up... they are in the pond alot and this summer I drained it every 2 days.. 3 at most..... my water bill is average $30 more a month .. that includes letting the hose run out in the grass to play in tooo..lol they do get to free range outside the pen most days..I have 4 Calls... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was filling the pond here.. they always get in before its full...
    [​IMG]

8. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Hattiegun, how dirty does it get after a week?

9. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have never let it go past 3 days....it would be dirty for sure.. they spend alot of time in the pond and I like it clean, plus i throw their peas corn tomatoes and lettuce in daily... its so easy there is no reason not to change it every 2 days....

10. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:once or twice a MONTH? That's it. Does it not get nasty?
    Do they not chow down on your hostas?

ive really only had it for two weeks. so far its pretty clean and you can see the bottom so im estimating i only will need to dump it at least every 3 weeks. with more then just two birds it probably would get dirty much quicker
    they do chow down on your hostas. i try to give them at least a few hours a day of free range but if they are in the run the whole day they start ripping the leaves off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by