Need ideas to prevent wind and rain

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by alessadry, Apr 3, 2017.

1. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Hello,
    I was hoping to get some ideas for my new coop. We have painted it and lifted it off the ground and it looks good but it rained the other day with wind and water went inside from the front. I know the chickens need ventilation but the rain and wind is not good, any ideas that I can use? I looked at plywood with hinges in the store but it is either too heavy to be supported or too light that bends. [​IMG]

2. rbreininger

rbreininger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    SW Wyoming
    A couple of things.

Where are you located?

Have you looked at smaller panels that only cover sections that can be lowered individually? More hinges I know but you might be able to use lighter material.

3. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    Corrugated plastic roofing panels? The clear will let in the light.

4. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    rbreininger, we are in Arizona, and we get very strong winds and in the summer lots of rain during monsoon season.

5. Flock In Texas

Flock In Texas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2016
    Texas
    Besides keeping out rain, an overhang will keep out some of the sunlight. The chickens might like more shade in the Arizona Summers.

Shutters come to mind, hinged on top.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Bigger roof overhangs all around.
    Top hinged, or easy on and off, panels in front.
    Opaque corrugated panels on 2x2 or 2x4 framing comes to mind.

I assume there's a floor inside.....that small gap under coop is an open invitation for rodents and snakes to take up housekeeping.
    Chooks could get under there too.
    Either raise it up a couple feet, far enough for you to climb under if needed(broody/eggs/sick bird), good for deep shade in your climate....
    .....or use a 1/2" hardware cloth apron all around to keep anything from getting under there.

7. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    Thanks for the great ideas, will keep you posted on how it turns out. The coop has a floor and it is raised to prevent critters, the picture was taken before doing all that.

8. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    I need a new coop, and I really like this one. Did you have plans for it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by