Need ideas....What causes runny poo (dirty butts) in week-old chicks?

hayley3

Free Ranging
16 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
I am having to trim the backside of my chicks due to slight poo on their butt feathers so their poo must be too runny. It is very slight but it bothers me...

I have 4 chicks so they are not crowded, they have plenty of room in an indoor cage with clean pine shavings...clean water and clean food.
I've read they could be stressed but mine are def not stressed. They still sleep under the heat lamp. It's warm here inside the house and there are no drafts.
The only thing I can think of would be the feed.

They are 10 days old.
I just picked a crusty poo off of one.
I think the brand of chick feed is the brand for Rural King...never seen it before.
I just hate it cause they have dirty feathers when they have clean bedding, clean water, clean food, heat lamp, plenty of room, etc.
That box is for their entertainment and then of course they poo on it.
The dirty bum would be dirtier if I had not clipped some off yesterday. (No I think this is a new dirty butt)

Attachments

• Chick Poo apr 7.jpg
    Chick Poo apr 7.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Chick feed.jpg
    Chick feed.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Chick bum.jpg
    Chick bum.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
They have a 40 inch cage and the heat lamp is at one end so if they were hot surely they would go to the other side but they are still laying under the heat lamp. They are asleep right now under it although they seemed to have moved out of the direct beam.
I have some kefir and goat yogurt, will try that..thanks!

yrs ago i quit feeding the chick feed. i get way better results feeding chicken feed. and i give the cooked carrots and all kinds of that soft stuff. they go nuts for it and i use viniger water..

yrs ago i quit feeding the chick feed. i get way better results feeding chicken feed. and i give the cooked carrots and all kinds of that soft stuff. they go nuts for it and i use viniger water..
I was wondering if maybe some chicks have issues with amprolium.

@rc4u Exactly what kind of "chicken feed"?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom