need ideas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ra, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    we just got some road island red/ american game chicks. at least thats what they called them. we are hoping to get some egg layers and some meat chickens. they said they work well for both. is that true? is there a good breed that is good for meat and eggs? also if there roosters when do they start making a lot of noise? thanks for any help. my wife has had chickens when younger but i have never delt with them before.

thanks for any help

ryan

2. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    Welcome to BYC. I keep RIR's for eggs and meat. They are good sized birds and lay large brown eggs.

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Yep, RIRs are supposed to be a good dual purpose bird.

Roosters all start crowing at different times, depends on the bird, but I think it's around 3 to 4 months? I'm not entirely sure. There are plenty of other ways to tell whether a chicken is a rooster, though (big comb/wattles, spurs, saddle feathers, etc).

4. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    we were woundering about the roosters because of were we are. we dont want to have them making noise with the neibors around. we were hoping if they are roosters they would not make to much noise untell they were big enough to eat. thanks for the help with the ideas. always like to see what people think

thanks
    ryan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by